Marine life is facing “irreparable damage” from the millions of tonnes of plastic waste which ends up in the oceans each year, the United Nations has warned.
According to this article, drinks bottles are one the most common types of plastic waste. Some 480bn plastic bottles were sold globally in 2016 – that’s a million bottles per minute.
Of these, 110bn were made by drinks giant Coca Cola.
So what can we do?
There are a few websites outlining key changes that we can make to reduce plastic waste, essentially we need to REFUSE, REUSE and REDUCE. Here are a few ideas:
- Use your own shopping bag
- Carry a reusable water bottle
- Carry your own cup/to go cup
- Say no to straw
- Say no to disposable cutlery
- Buy loose produce rather than that in plastic packaging
Check out the fantastic websites below, and above all remember that what you do can make a difference.